Saturday, November 1, 2008

In Which I Flip-flop

So, based on conversations I've had with other homeschooling parents and the thoughtful comments on this blog, I've decided to go back to saying "secular" homeschooling rather than "inclusive" homeschooling when discussing someone's motivation for homeschooling. So, to make it clearer, for purposes of The Revolution begins at Home (this blog):

The word "secular" will be used when the primary motivation for homeschooling is something other than religion.

The word "religious" or the term"religiously motivated" will be used when the primary motivation for homeschooling is religion.

That is all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've just discovered this blog, ironically enough, through a religious-homeschool Yahoo mailing list I subscribe to. What a breath of fresh air!

We are not a religious family but we live in Cheyenne, Wyoming where all the other homeschoolers, so far as I can tell, are deeply religious, evangelical-type Christians. This makes socializing a bit, um, complicated. My younger child more often plays with schooled kids in the neighborhood rather than the Jesus kids.

Not only that, I'm the stay-at-home Dad (I do free-lance illustration from a home studio) who takes the kids on outings. I'm also a hairy, bearded exomorph who frightens these good Christian moms just by being around.

It gets lonely sometimes.

But I love this blog. I have now added it to my RSS feed so I won't miss a posting. Thank you for putting this up!