Sunday, November 9, 2008

Too Cool for You

A few weeks ago, my husband showed me an article from the New York Times called “The Anti-Schoolers.” The article describes the decision a woman, Joanne Rendell, had made to not send her 5 year-old son, Benny, to kindergarten. Ms. Rendell, who is a novelist, had written a post for the website Babble, discussing her family’s choice to “unkindergarten.” In her post, she describes the ability they have to go out whenever they like (to bars, of all places) and to go to Europe on the cheap fares because they don’t have to work their schedule around a school schedule. She also describes a play date where all the kids get extremely muddy while playing and the parents discuss homeschooling while drinking beer. Ms. Rendell makes it clear that her choice to unkindergarten is their choice for now and she and her partner may decide to send Benny to school at a later date. Her post is beautifully written and brings out the absolute joy of having a 5 year-old child and being able to live life as you choose.

What struck me the most was not the New York Times article or Ms. Rendell’s blog. What struck me the most were the comments to her original post. Out of the 249 comments posted when I looked at the blog, 112 were negative, 112 were positive or somewhat positive (I took even one positive sentiment as a positive remark), 20 were commenters snipping at each other or saying nonsensical things, and I apparently overlooked 5 comments, which I’m not going to take the time to revisit.

The vitriol was palpable from the 112 negative comments. Some called for Child Protective Services to step in to take care of Benny. Most were absolutely astounded at the Ms. Rendell’s selfishness (“THE MOST SELFISH PARENTS I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS!”). Others, of course, mentioned that Benny will never be properly socialized (although one sympathetic commenter noted, “Benny is missing out on hours of standing in line, waiting, being told to put his head down because the kids are too noisy, being told to be quiet, and being forced to sit quietly in his seat.”). Quite a few talked about Benny needing to find out what it’s like to live in the REAL world (‘Not everyone in the world gets up around mid-day and spends their waking hours comfortably numb”). One comment talks about how the author is negligent because she’s not preparing Benny for “cutthroat global competition for increasingly rare jobs.” There is a long discussion of how people who homeschool and unschool must be rich because normal people have to send their kids to school so they can go to work (I wish this was true).

A couple negative comments struck me as strange because they were from self-proclaimed unschoolers saying that Ms. Rendell is not unschooling properly because she has never read a John Holt book. I’ve read John Holt books and I think, although I can’t absolutely know, that even John Holt would not say you need to read his books to successfully unschool. I would love to know what other unschoolers have to say about this seemingly dogmatic objection.

I think, though, that one positive commenter hit the nail on the head when he or she asked, “is the problem that her kid out-cooled your kids?” This question illustrates what I think is the basis for the commenters’ anger. Nobody is the boss of Joanne Rendell. She and Benny are rebels, not willing to let the schools tell them when they should go to bed and when they should play in the mud. For some reason, this lack of obedience to some higher power, whatever that power may be, makes many who do obey normal societal structures downright nasty.

Why would this be? Is it because they feel guilty because they didn’t question authority and think things through adequately before following the customary practice of enrolling their children in school? Are they jealous of the way those who unschool disregard the traditional wisdom of mass education? Do they wish that they had the guts to take their kids out of institutional education, but they’re too afraid to do it now? Are they just lazy and it’s just easier to criticize than to consider the implications of unschooling? Really, why would they care so much that they would spew this kind of malevolence at Ms. Rendell?

I wish I knew.

2 comments:

knittingsheeple said...

We did a "play" homeschool kindergarten with Thing 1 (aka we just played). It really seemed to be what he needed and starting school then would've just been an awful struggle for both of us. Thing 2 WANTED work when he saw his brother doing some later.
I wonder if part of it is schooling parents wanting everyone to have to endure what their 5 year olds are enduring. For most of us that are parents, we had play kindergarten: 1/2 day, snack, center-based activities, and some exposure to things like the alphabet and basic social rules (share, be kind, etc). Kindergarten is very frequently not like that anymore in any public school - children at age 5 are expected to basically have the skill set WE had starting first grade. I've heard parents in the neighborhood actually saying that "Kindergarten is the new first grade." Now that it's full day, academics driven, sit down and be quiet work day.

It's really frustrating for me because when I was in college, I read a longitudinal study that tracked children placed in a play kindergarten against those in an academic kindergarten in the same school district. While those in the academic kindy had a small early boost, the play kindy kids were on academic par by 3rd grade, and showed no difference the rest of the way thru school (academically).

This idea that if kids don't go to kindergarten (and academic kindergarten at that) they'll never learn basic school routines or will be pretty much doomed to a life of minimum wage because they won't excel in school? Makes me twitch.

Worthy said...

I never read a John Holt book - but we are not unschoolers. I do hope to read it one day... the pile of would-read books precariously tilting my burdened night stand.
Half-ear was in public school until 4th grade, Volcano had 1.5 years of preschool - the reactions to our homeschooling have been varied. Not outright anger (at least not to my face- though behind my back I don't doubt...) but there is that hmmmm, perhaps, 'disgust'. Do they Not have disgust for public schooling + its 'greeeaat Results'?
Many of my cousins and childhood friends are teachers/professors. Catching up on Facebook (ugh- don't believe I joined that...) has shown that the majority of the people who I hung out with in high school ended up Educating. Funny thing is - I am the one with the oldest kids. Half of them aren't even married. None of them think homeschool is poor choice.