Friday, October 31, 2008

Frugal Friday

Today's tip is from LBS, my friend in Houston. She suggests looking at curricula online to get ideas for the kids' reading in various subjects. For instance, I've been looking at the book lists on the History Odyssey site to help me figure out what Iulius and Lucretius might be able to read for history at their specific levels. Then I can get the books at the library.

I've also started to look at the graded book lists at local charter schools to get level-appropriate ideas. I've found that homeschooled kids tend to read a whole lot more than schooled kids, so we need all the suggestions we can find!

2 comments:

Worthy said...

We use History Odyssey - I enjoy the thought and development of the lessons and the quality literature choices that are suggested. This is our third year with it - my son is Not a big reader (perhaps unlike other homeschoolers) but he has enjoyed (begrudgingly) the novels he reads. They have led to interesting discussions.

Caia said...

Worthy, I totally agree that History Odyssey is a great program -- I plan on using it next year with my sons. But it can be expensive, so this is a way to get some good book ideas without having to buy the whole program.