Thursday, March 27, 2008

On My Soapbox

So, I've been mulling over the Monday homeschooling segment on the Diane Rehm Show. I'm really happy that NPR is talking about homeschooling, especially the impact of the recent California appeals court decision (please listen to the show and read the court decision if you can), but I think the guests illustrated a problem I see within the homeschooling community: we, as a group, apologize for not sending our kids to school.

The guests on the show were a homeschooling mom, a lawyer from HSLDA who is a homeschooling dad, and Professor Rob Reich from Stanford (much more about him in an upcoming post). The mom and the lawyer were well spoken, but they were constantly on the defensive. Someone calls in and asks the stupid "socialization" question, and the mom says, "That's a good question!" and proceeds to list the ways she socializes her children (because, you know, it's important to socialize homeschooled children with "regular" kids). The professor says that strict regulation of homeschooling, including frequent forced testing, is needed and the mom and lawyer say, "We test our kids." The lawyer from HSLDA literally says that HSLDA does not oppose testing (HUH?). The professor says that the state should review curricula used by the homeschoolers, and the mom says, "Well, we use Calvert!" Someone questions how anyone could possibly be qualified to teach all levels from elementary school through high school chemistry, and the mom says "It's all right here in the curriculum!" They are apologizing for doing something they supposedly believe in enough to appear on a national program!

I started thinking about what my friends and I would say if asked these same questions. I would say to the "socialization" question, "Don't bother me with that stupid question unless you can explain to me why you accept that a 7 year-old 1st grader is "adequately socialized" when she is surrounded by all these other cool 7 year-olds for 7 hours a day, yet is not allowed to speak with any of them except during a 1/2 hour lunch period and a 15 minute recess!" SH would say, "The only thing a state-administered test measures is how well prepared the kid is for that particular test. " LB would say "Curriculum? Who needs a curriculum? You don't need a curriculum in the real world." JJ would say, "You must have had a really poor high school education to not be able to guide your child through all of his high school courses!"

These are GOOD answers, these are answers that get to the heart of the problem. Our school system is like a religion that we're not allowed to question. The paradigm (as EG would say) is that school is good and everything else is suspect. What if we shift the paradigm and when someone asks, "Why don't you send your child to school," you answer, "Why do you send your child to school." Make them look for the answer.

My message to Diane Rehm is that if she wants a real discussion about homeschooling, she should invite John Taylor Gatto to her show.

And any one of my friends.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

What completely baffles me is how people could defend an institution that is horribly failing, especially in Arizona. People's feelings on school are blind and unquestioning, romanticized and exaggerated.

When, in a different conversation entirely, you listen to the general public talk about schools, the feelings are harsh, unforgiving and derogatory. Yet, when those same people compare it to homeschooling, they vociferously defend that same institution.

People can be insecure, and they often need to discount what is working in order to defend their own choice. It's up to me to STOP going on the defensive. The next time someone asks me if I'm really qualified, I'm going to say "I sure as hell hope so. Wish me luck".

WalkOn said...

Well said. Yes, socializing is important, as I say, in real world situations. As you outlined, where, except in school would children be put into such a false social situation as in a whole class of other kids, all the same age, and most often, the same socio economic status.

Yes, I'm homeschooling, and part of my job as a homeschool mom/teacher is to facilitate the education of my children, even if what they want to learn is something I do not feel I can teach. I have done this with many subjects, and that is why my oldest son is a math wiz, and has learned Latin and Greek--because he wanted to, and I helped make it happen.

I am in a situation where I might have to send my children to school this fall, and I feel the need to apologize for that!

Lisa
Texas Outpost

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you about the interview.
To the question of "Why do people homeschool?" They never mentioned all the kids getting labels - ADHD etc.. like my son - that are being told go on drugs or don't come back. That homeschool population is growing rapidly.
The twice a year forced testing?! I couldn't believe when both the Mom and the HSLDA guy agreed to that!!
No way! Those tests are one big reason my son isn't in school!
I don't need some stupid test to tell me my son doesn't sit still long enough to finish the test!
I know that my kid is smart and I know that he works on 5th grade level and above. That's enough for me.
Chandra

Not Scott said...

Obviously I think the school system is flawed, and I agree that the guests didn't do a great job of asserting homeschooling as a alternative philosophy as opposed to just a different location for the same delivery.

But I have been somewhat concerned about the attacks on the school system. The Tribune recently ran an editorial in response to the CA ruling. And while they supported the right to homeschooling, they ended by claiming that the school system was primarily motivated by revenue--keeping kids in school so that their revenue from a per student formula would remain high.

I imagine some functionaries are motivated by such needs, but plenty of people recognize that education is crucial to civilization, and homeschooling is not an option for a lot of people. We'd be far better off if the vast institution of schooling were reformed and not merely demonized. Right now, I'm opting out because I don't see much of a choice. But I'd certainly rather have the option of a school dedicated to the true development of the individual rather than the molding of a cog. I might still homeschool, but I'd feel better about the development of the upcoming generations.

Unknown said...

Excellent post. Have you sent her show's producers a link? May I?

Caia said...

Jenny, What a good answer!

Lisa, No need to apologize. I think homeschooling is a state of mind. You've been doing it for so long that school will never be your new religion!

Chanrda, Forced testing and forced drugging are some of the current realities of schooling. Very good points.

NS, Much of what I say about schools could probably be seen as demonizing. I'll admit to that particular crime. BUT, I think the question I would like to pose to schooling parent (Why do you send your kids to school?) is the most important question we can ask them if schools are ever going to change for the better.

Family, Thank you. Send away if you like!